Wednesday 14 December 2011

Group feedback

I felt kind of comfortable with my work, but also a bit stuck as i didn't know what else i could do to further it. Through having group feedback i gained some useful ideas.



  • Images and film together
  • Try reversing the film/sound
  • Slow the voices down to see what effect that gives
  • create my own conversations from segments of other conversations
  • try filming on a roundabout
  • film getting on and off the bus
  • down and up the stairs
  • film out of the back window
  • reward the audience with getting off the bus, a narrative

                           Michael Holden

I was told to look at Holden due to his coloum in the gardian about conversations entitles 'All ears'. I find it so interesting! I like the idea of overhearing these sentences said by people that are kind of taken completely out of context and just left there on there own to make of them what you want. 

Michael Holden's All ears

'I had a week of it, scuttling about, laughing at me. So I went to the pound shop and got some traps'
All ears View larger picture
All ears. Illustration: Andy Watt
There's a lot of stuff in the ether lately about trying to vanquish animals. Maybe it's a
 recession thing, that our confidence is down as a species. Perhaps we're not the
 evolutionary big dogs we thought we were. Certainly the man sat by me in the pub was
 struggling with his status as an apex predator.
Man 1 "I had a week of it, scuttling about, laughing at me. So I went to the pound shop
 and got some traps."
Man 2 (feeding a child in a pram but listening in) "You wanna try peanut butter."
Man 1 "Well the cheese didn't work. I wanted one of them old-fashioned traps, you
 know?"
Man 3 "Your classic mousetrap – bang!"
Man 1 "Exactly, but they didn't have any, and it turns out these things I've bought are
 for rats, so the mice don't trigger it."
Man 2 "Peanut butter."
Man 1 "I went back to the shop and in the end the fella gives me these glue traps, says
 they're the ones. I've spent about 11 quid in there now, and this is the pound shop."
Man 3 "How do they work?"
Man 1 "Humanely, they say. But this is the thing. In the morning the thing's just laying
 there, looking up at me, its little feet stuck fast in this glue, like when you get a CD stuck
 to a magazine, and it was shivering."
Man 3 "So what do you do, kill it?"
Man 1 (wincing at the memory) "I couldn't. I had to peel it off."
Man 3 "And then what?"
Man 1 (appalled with himself) "I chucked it in a bush and walked to work."
Man 3 (in the "I told you so" style) "Peanut butter …"

No comments:

Post a Comment